Beverly Hills Standard Dark Logo
Saturday, February 21, 2026 Loading weather...
فارسی
 Beverly Hills Standard Main Logo

Beverly Hills Retracts Statement on Jaylen Brown Event

Grant Walters Grant Walters February 20, 2026
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Boston Celtics guard Jaylen Brown, whose private All-Star Weekend event in Beverly Hills was shut down by city officials, later disputed the city’s initial public account of the incident and raised due-process concerns.
Boston Celtics guard Jaylen Brown, whose private All-Star Weekend event in Beverly Hills was shut down by city officials, later disputed the city’s initial public account of the incident and raised due-process concerns. (Brian Fluharty/Getty Images)

City officials admitted their initial account of Jaylen Brown’s Beverly Hills All-Star Weekend event was inaccurate, prompting a sharp rebuke from the Celtics star, who says the shutdown caused financial harm and raised serious due-process concerns.

Boston Celtics guard Jaylen Brown hosted a private, invitation-only gathering at Oakley founder Jim Jannard’s residence in Beverly Hills during NBA All-Star Weekend to promote his 741 performance brand. The event drew industry guests and partners. Around 7 p.m. on Saturday, Beverly Hills police arrived and ended the gathering. The following day, the city told the Boston Globe that it had rejected a permit application due to previous violations, suggesting the event proceeded anyway. Brown publicly disputed that account, calling it “completely false.”

Four days later, the City of Beverly Hills walked back its earlier claims. In a statement posted on Instagram, officials acknowledged their initial communication was inaccurate, writing: “Upon further internal review, the City has determined that its prior public communication contained inaccurate information. Specifically, no permit application was submitted nor denied for the event and the residence does not have any prior related violations on record.” The city added that it “takes full accountability for the internal error” and said it is working to ensure similar mistakes do not occur in the future.

Advertisement

City Manager Nancy Hunt-Coffey apologized to Brown and the Jannard family while defending the decision to end the gathering. She said city staff believed there were potential code violations and asserted that “city staff observed circumstances that are believed to be City code violations and for that reason alone, the event was ended.” The city’s statement did not address the financial or reputational harm Brown said resulted from the shutdown.

Brown’s company, Jaylen Brown Enterprises Inc., responded following the city’s retraction, acknowledging the correction while disputing the justification for the enforcement action. In a statement posted on X, the company said, “No alleged proof of any violation was ever produced to the homeowner, our team or legal counsel,” adding that “without observation, documentation, or confirmed violations, enforcement action based on belief alone raises serious due-process concerns.” Brown’s team also noted that the gathering was a private event that did not require a permit and that music had been turned off at 6 p.m., well before the city’s 10 p.m. noise ordinance.

Speaking to ESPN’s Andscape, Brown said the incident caused embarrassment and damaged his brand.

“I’m not a legality type of pursuing guy, but you embarrassed my brand and my team. And for you to continue to tell untruths in your apology statement, I feel offended by it,” he said.

Brown said he would consult with his team about potential legal options, adding, “It’s hard to say that you were not being targeted.” He estimated he spent about $300,000 on the event, with sponsors contributing an additional $300,000 to $500,000.

Advertisement

When asked whether the shutdown was racially motivated, Brown declined to ascribe specific intent but said, “We were targeted. People can infer the rest.” As of this writing, Brown has not publicly filed a lawsuit, though he has indicated he is considering legal action.

The dispute highlights ongoing tensions between Beverly Hills officials and high-profile guests during major event weekends. While the city has acknowledged errors in its public statements, officials maintain the shutdown was based on perceived code violations. Brown’s response has centered on due-process concerns and reputational harm, leaving the matter unresolved as both sides consider their next steps.

Advertisement

Related Articles

Rita Ortiz Faces Eviction and Expanding Legal Scrutiny
Rita Ortiz Faces Eviction and Expanding Legal Scrutiny
Advertisement
Sponsored

Promoted content

Jaylen Brown Criticizes Beverly Hills After Panel Shut Down
Jaylen Brown Criticizes Beverly Hills After Panel Shut Down
Join the Conversation

Comments are available exclusively for registered subscribers. Sign up to read comments and share your thoughts on this article.

Get access to exclusive content, breaking news, and community discussions.